Tonight’s the premiere of Curiosity on the Discovery Channel featured Stephen Hawking who talked about cosmology and God. The show was followed by the “Curiosity Conversation” panel with David Gregory, Paul Davies, and John Haught. Hawking’s hour-long show was scheduled for 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific, and will then repeat 3 hours later (11E/8P). The topic – “Does God Exist?” opened the show, and physicist Stephen Hawking, along with a cast of theistic, agnostic and atheistic scientists reflect on this fundamental question. Hawking expresses the conclusion “We don’t need God for this universe to have been created.” He goes on, “…And any idea of heaven, or afterlife, does not exist.”
Certainly a lot of people don’t think the statement that he made will change the minds of many religious believers. His argument is essentially that the universe is self-contained, and doesn’t really have need to invoke a creator, that is God. “Changing people’s minds” isn’t the only reason to talk about something, even about controversial issues. Talking about something sensitive like religion,sex and death, is some of those topics where it’s very difficult to simply have a calm discussion without making people uncomfortable. That’s why this episode of ‘Curiosity” is potentially important. It’s a direct statement of a view that doesn’t often get aired in American media. Although if nobody’s mind is changed, simply talking rationally about these issues would be a step forward of openness in stating someone’s view.
- Sean Young was arrested after struck the guard at post-Oscars party
- J.K Rowling’s New Book will be very different to Harry Potter J.K Rowling’s New Book will be very different to Harry Potter
- Kathy Ireland's Net Worth Passes the Predicted Richest Supermodel's Net Worth
- Chris Brown and Rihanna are Together Again on Colaborations
- Elizabeth Smart and Gilmour has Married at a Mormon Temple in Hawaii.